We envision a society with full acceptance and integration of persons with Albinism.
Albinism Multipurpose Corporative (AMC) is a Zambian registered NGO that was established in 2017 to represent persons with albinism (PWA) in all spheres of life especially in the social economic sectors where they are marginalized and stigmatized. AMC is affiliated to Zambia Agency of Persons with Disabilities ( ZAPD) and Zambia Federation of Disabilities (ZAFOD).
Our mission is to promote the rights and opportunities for PWA and to facilitate full inclusion in all aspects of life, as well as end the violence and discrimination that they face. This will be achieved by:
- Creating awareness about Albinism and the challenges that PWA face with a view to change attitudes by ending the stigma and discrimination that they face, as well as to dispel the myth, misconceptions and harmful cultural practices that are discriminatory and undermine the dignity of PWA.
- Educating PWA on how to take care of their health by forming partnerships with professionals in the medical field to assist in health promotion and medical care as well as advocate for access to subsidized and free services and products that will reduce the risk of secondary disabilities and disease.
- Providing information and support to PWA to improve their health by communicating their susceptibility to cancer at an early stage and encourage them to go for skin check ups.
- Advocating for the appointment of PWA to public office and educating PWA on how they can be involved in society by exercising their civil rights.
- Acting as an intermediary between PWA and the general society to help promote understanding acceptance and inclusion of PWA into mainstream society.
- Empowering PWA to be economically self sufficient by connecting them to job opportunities and entrepreneurship development and through vocational training and self-help projects.
- Working with government private institutions and other stakeholders to provide and distribute free access to adequate and sufficient sunscreen vIsual aids and protective clothing not only to the major towns but to rural areas.
- Advocating for the rights and the implementation of laws of PWA to protect promote and defend their fundamental human rights.
- Improving access to the justice system for PWA especially women and children through education about their rights.
- Empowering PWA with information about their rights through various media, awareness workshops and print media.
- Advocating and lobbying for policy the changes by engaging relevant stakeholders on the need for the promotion and protection of their rights.
- Partnering with other disability organizations and institutions to assist and empower PWA in cases where their rights and freedoms have been infringed upon as well as to monitor each other.
- Advocating for the training of healthcare workers to ensure that they understand the different types of albinism and interventions required so that they give correct medical care.
- Providing learners with albinism with reasonable accommodation and support services in order to advance their education.
- Raising funds to advance PWA’s economic, educational, health and social well-being.
- Working with government to come up with effective data collection on PWA and Albinism matters.
Membership and Partners
Membership to AMC is not limited to PWA alone but is open to anyone who shares our ideas.
We have formed partnerships and affiliations with like-minded stakeholders in order to:
- share information
- build support networks
- work on projects
- exchange ideas and
- carry out advocacy at various levels to remove barriers and stigma
so that PWA have a rewarding, dignified and fulfilling quality of life as full functioning members of society.